Cities in America – Cities in Canada – Niagara Falls City
Niagara Falls, city in Niagara Regional Municipality, southeastern Ontario, Canada. It is a port on the Niagara River opposite Niagara Falls, New York. The city overlooks a cataract of Niagara Falls known as Horseshoe Falls or Canadian Falls; the crescent-shaped cataract is 57 m (187 ft) high and carries nine times more water than its United States counterpart. Niagara Falls is an enormously popular tourist destination, and it is also a major source of electricity for Ontario. The city is connected to the U. S. side of the falls by several bridges, including the Rainbow and Whirlpool bridges.
The city’s principal manufactures include processed foods, abrasives, chemicals, automotive parts, metal and paper goods, and wines and other alcoholic beverages. Storage, warehousing, and call centers are also important to the city’s economy. Points of interest include Queen Victoria Park, which is adjacent to the Canadian Falls and is the principal site of the annual Winter Festival of Lights, and the historical museum at Lundy’s Lane, the site of a brutal battle between American and British forces during the War of 1812. The city is also home to Marineland, which includes an aquatic theater, a game farm, and Friendship Cove, a place where visitors can view killer and beluga whales. Other sites are Skylon Tower and Pavilion, which houses a revolving restaurant and an observation deck overlooking the falls; the Butterfly Conservatory at the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens; and Casino Niagara. The Niagara Parks School of Horticulture is located in the city as well.
Originally called Elgin, the community merged with Clifton in 1856 and was known as Clifton until 1881, when its name changed to Niagara Falls. It incorporated as a city in 1904. In 1963 the city greatly expanded when it merged with Stamford Township. Niagara Falls has continued to grow commercially and culturally, in part due to its flourishing tourist industry.
Niagara Falls covers a land area of 212 sq km (81.9 sq mi).